I have been working on listed buildings and conservation areas in the Peak District and High Peak of Derbyshire for 30 years.
On the right is a section of c17 wall to the Bakewell property above which I rebuilt after frost and wind brought it down.
On reflection I realise that I've worked on this property for 16 years! I started by removing inappropriate render and re-pointing and have replaced all the roof lead, repaired the roof, re-roofed some pitches, replaced broken lintols, rebuilt several more sections of wall, guttering, internal restorations, you name it.
The owner is very sensitive to the need for careful work with appropriate methods and materials.
Below are some thumbnails of other work here. A click will open a bigger pic in a new window.
This property is in Thornhill and is another I've worked on for 16 years. It's special that I get invited back to familiar properties to take care of them.
Initially it was virtually derelict. It needed complete internal restoration, replastering, structural work, pointing, new floors and all services. Over the years I've added two extensions, re-roofed and repaired all the outbuildings and laid cobbles to the parking area and path (see below).
The situation is incomparable. It's on a bluff overlooking the Derwent valley from Bamford up to the dam with Stanedge opposite. Below, the spring that supplied Thornhill until the 50s rises and in the twilight owls hoot in the woods. And I get paid to work there!
This one was interesting. Originally a very basic farm worker's cottage it had partially collapsed in the 50s and been partially rebuilt as a shed. My task was to raise the walls to the proper height and construct a new stone roof over both the cottage and the garage alongside. I also needed to lay a new floor and trench round it to get ground water away and lay new drainage.
It's at the start of the Pennine Way in Edale.
While I was working here I picked up another 6 jobs! Perhaps they don't see builders very often under the Scout.
Paul's new stone roof below was one of them. Great thick Derbyshire stones. A delight to work with and I was able to re-use 90%.
Now this is one of my favourites. It's in Ashford in the Water.
It's a c16 cruck building with the cruck and many original features still intact. The first task was to remove c18 lime render which was falling off. Underneath was very good quality limestone perhaps quarried from Ashford Castle when the original building was "stoned up".
Only one original stone mullioned window remained and I used it to draw up the replacements for inappropriate modern insertions . You can see two new windows above and one below. Lumps of the original stone had been used to build round the new windows!
When removing the render I found a loose area of stone which I took out with the intention of re-building. Behind it was an intact oak mullioned window which you can see here under the roof line. These are very rare. There's one at the rear of the Old House Museum in Bakewell and one in the stable block at Haddon Hall. I left the wood exposed and protected the interior with a second window behind it. It was unglazed and would have had a wooden shutter. The original stone window is on the right below. You can just see the end of the cruck cross beam to the right of the door.
The upper floor retains the original quarter-sawn oak boards up to 15" wide. Quarter sawn means the planks are cut radially from the trunk to avoid the cupping caused by curved grain. In oak they show a lovely horizontal figuring due to lateral conduction channels in the wood. When I'd finished working inside all I had to do was clean the boards off and oil them to reveal their beauty.
Also retained inside were original wattle and daub partitions, in some places the original wattle finish to the stone and, of course, lots of lime plaster. I left some of the wattle you can see in the thumbnail below exposed behind an old oak shutter for the curious.
This is another Edale job. Bob lives next to the pack horse bridge over Grindsbrook. I'd worked on it briefly for the previous owner but Bob had me completely re-roof it.
The stone slate here was in poor condition and I needed the slates from both sides to complete the most visible pitch shown. I recovered the rear pitch in reclaimed Welsh blue. I also did internal structural work, new stone floor etc and have since re-roofed the lean-to boiler house and the privvy down the garden in stone slate.
I formed this arch on a building in Malcoff. The previous attempt was a real bodge.
I'd previously done pointing and structural work and roof repairs.